Friday, March 19, 2010

Yesterday Rylie had her MRI. This morning I called the neurologist for the results because I knew she had them according to radiology. I was getting anxious waiting for her call back, so I asked radiology to fax the results over to her pediatrician because I knew her pediatrician would get right back to me. And she did. She told me everything with her brain looked normal, but they saw fluid in her sinuses and noted that it might possibly be mastioditis. HUH? The ped told me I need to take her over to the ENT. Well Rylie was already at school and my car was in the shop, so I casually told the pediatrician I would take Rylie to the ENT next week, not realizing this could be something serious. The pediatrician told me...NO, I'm not asking you to get her over to the ENT now I'm telling you, then she told me to take a taxi if I had to. She said she might need IV antibiotics. So right away I went into panic mode! The pediatricians office made arrangements for me to see the ENT at 2:00 and that gave me some time to make arrangements. My friend Kim picked up Rylie from school and my mom was able to come up and watch Cesalie. Speaking of Cesalie, while I was in panic mode and making all these phone calls she went into Karlie's room, found a black Sharpie marker and decided to draw all over herself. She drew all over herself and because she loves cats so much, she decided to become one and drew whiskers on her face. Yeah, just what I needed.

After I finally calmed down and was waiting for my mom to come up, I went on line and googled Mastoiditis...and realized there was no way Rylie had this. Her hearing has been fine and her ears looked wonderful to me, she had no fever and has been doing great. So, after I read that I really started to calm down and wonder why the pediatrician was making such a big deal.

Meanwhile I was getting ready to get out the door and the Neurologist calls and says, Rylie's MRI was normal. I told her what the pediatrician told me about the Mastoiditis and she said anytime you do an MRI they will see some fluid in the sinuses, and she wasn't worry about it, but still go see the ENT in case.

So, we go to the ENT and the ENT said that the pediatrician overreacted. Rylie was fine. She just had a little bit of fluid in her ears and her tubes were now out. She got a hearing test and did pretty good, but we need to schedule her for ear tube surgery again.

Ok now back to the MRI. Because everything else with her brain has been ruled out that officially means she has Psuedotumor. They're not 100% percent why children get Psuedotumor, but they said it's common with Down syndrome. She is taking Diamox to deal with the Psuedotumor and the swelling on her optic nerves. Hopefully the medicine is working. We will find out when we see the Opthalmologist on Tuesday.

Besides the fact that Rylie had severe pain from her spinal tap last week, she has been fine. No nausea, vomiting or any other symptoms Psuedotumor can cause.

The pediatrician had me scared today. But thank God there was no mastioditis! I realize her ped had to take all precautions, but I think she should have consulted with an ENT and the neurologist before scaring me to death.

No comments: