Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Next Question 31 for 21


in what way(s) is your life with a child with Down syndrome different than you thought it would be when you first received her diagnosis?

Well, when I first got Rylie's diagnosis I thought, "that's it my life will never be the same." I thought I'd be crying the rest of my life. I thought our family would be ruined. I even thought my 4 year old (at the time), Karlie, was going to be mad at me. I had so many irrational concerns for Rylie's future. I wasted so much time during her first year of life, fretting and worrying about the future, instead of just enjoying the moment with her. I still feel guilty about this.

My life is so much different then what I assumed it would be , raising a child with a disability. 99% of the time it's really no big deal. I've shared in many past post how Rylie's life is pretty much the same as any kid.

Any real problem I've had in the past 5 years, had nothing to do with Rylie. When she was first diagnosed, I thought I would probably spend the rest of my life crying and wishing I could go back to my old life before Rylie was born. Now I've spent so much of the last five years laughing at so many of the funny things Rylie does, and I could never even imagine life without her.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones!